Sunday, April 11, 2021

SARDINES

 2/10/21

After a good nights rest, I decided to head north on the beach about 07:30.  I had only been as far as the river, which is about 1/3 of a mile and wanted to explore further, so walked and walked.  I ended up walking 1.5 miles. I could see in the distance another small village, and when I got a little closer I could make out what looked like maybe 30 people pulling in a fishing net to shore.  I picked up my pace as I did not want to miss seeing the action.  The name of the village is Las Tunas, which has nothing to do with Tuna the fish. 



Turns out there was no rush as the netting must have been some 300 yards from end to end, and it was taking time to pull it in the catch.  I saw a few fish about 2 feet long already pulled out, and assumed the heavy catch was filled with them. 




After taking a few pics, I thought I’d offer my services, so showed one of the young men my flexed biceps, pointed to the rope, and he gestured I was welcome to help.  I lucked out when I entered the pulling brigade as the young man behind me asked me in English, “Where are you from?”  I was thrilled to hear that so now I could ask questions about the operation.  Turns out he was not a local, but from Guayaquil and just here for a few days.  He had worked in the states some, and knew English fairly well.


Yep, that's me looking like I am working.....


There were 2 ends of the net, one group was on one end and another group on the other, all pulling for maybe 50 feet, then we’d drop it and head back to grab the rope again and start the process over again until the net was in sufficiently.  


I finally figured out that the main catch were the sardines.  The bigger fish were attracted to the school of small fish, and so ended up being victims of the catch.  I’d say there was a good ton of sardines and maybe 50 larger fish caught.  Turns out that every family helping was entitled to one large fish, and as many sardines as they could put in bags.  Not sure who the owners of the net were, or how much of the catch was theirs.  I did learn the fishermen went out at night with boats and net and returned to shore in the morning.  


I do think there was about a ton of Sardines












The villagers all knew the routine.  It was great to see many of the families of the village out there benefitting.  Young and old, men and women and little children. I also counted 17 dogs, probably every dog that was able to come. There was a lot of laughing and talk going on.  I wish I knew what they were saying.  Some tried to strike up a conversation with me, but it was simply not to be. 


It was a fun experience.  Even the pelicans and frigatebirds were thick about the net.  With so many sardines they were having a feast.  I did not bring my long lens, and that was probably a good thing as there was no place to lay it down on the beach.  I hope to figure out when they do this again so I can be there photographing the birds next time.  Potential good photos were of the frigates as they’d swoop down to pick up a sardine.  One teenager threw a few up into the air and the frigates would snatch them in mid air.  One of the fish that the birds missed fell back down, landing on the head of an elderly lady.  She just laughed it off. There was one dog who liked to swim and he’d often be seen just beyond the net, out with the pelicans. Another dog actually ate some sardines. 


This dog was eating sardines.

This dog was swimming in the surf

The pelicans were waiting just offshore


When I’d seen enough, and the villagers were now only gathering the last of the small fry, I started my walk back.  My pace was rather fast, probably because I was enthused about the morning.  Then I was reminded of a song from my youth that goes, “Slow down, you’re movin too fast.  You’ve got to make the morning last.”  One thing I’ve always had a challenge with is living in the moment, or the present.  I wanted more of that experience while here.  At 66 it is time to slow down anyway.  Most of my life is past, so may as well make the best of what is left, and quality will be better if I live one day at a time.  This is easier said then done for some of us, especially me.  And, this was one of my goals for the trip here.  Past vacations out of the USA were always for about 2 weeks, and the departure date was always in the back of my mind so I’d be rushing to get as much birding or other things done.  Now I can simply sit back and let that pressure valve deflate the stress. Amen. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment