Tuesday, December 13, 2022

ANOTHER HIKE WITH SUE

On Sunday, Dec 11, Sue sent out  plans for the Tuesday hike.  She was feeling a little sorry for what turned out to be a misunderstanding regarding last week’s hike, which turned out to be a long, all uphill jaunt.  So she wanted something easier.  She decided to take us up the “other side” of the same valley, an area we could see across the way during much of our hike last week.   It was to be “all” downhill, so even Rosie was interested in going.

We met at the usual time and place.  There were about 20 of us, at least half were people I knew from last week’s hike, the rest new to me.  So we piled into the 3 truck taxis and headed north.  At San Pedro we hung a right and in a mile were traveling next to the river which divides the mountains.  In about another mile we crossed the river on a bridge, and began the uphill trek.  We kept going and going and going up and up and up.  I think in about 3 miles or more the lead taxi stopped and some of the women got out saying that they did not want to walk any further downhill than we had already come, so that seemed to be the sentiment of the rest, so we all disembarked.  




                                                A BUDDING HIKER


The view was splendid!  We could see some rain high up to the east in Podocarpus, but it was still staying dry where we were.  We could also look across the valley to the area where we walked last week.  



ACROSS THIS CANYON WAS WHERE WE WALKED LAST WEEK. YOU CAN SEE THE SKY IS GRAY ABOVE THERE


This time there were 3 dogs along, and one young lady with her young boy, probably about 5 years old.  They were locals and did not speak English.  One really good thing for me right away were some small flocks of Scaly-Naped Parrots, a new one for this trip.  Once back home and doing my homework, this species turned out to be a lifer!  Wow.

 



I have to admit that it was nice going downhill after last week’s hike.  Plus, with no glaring sunshine, it was very pleasant weather for walking.  Due to a few birds here and there, I ended up bringing up the rear.  But that was OK.  I knew in a couple miles we’d be stopping at someone’s house for a break.  


I began hearing a certain bird.  I mimicked his called, but he did not show.  I recorded him, played it back,  but he still did not show himself.  At one point I was within 30 feet of one.  This type of thing bugged me as I simply was not able to put a label on him.  I had heard one across the canyon on last week’s hike also.  Finally, I had to leave as I was lagging far behind.  Once back home I decided to send the recording on to my birder guide friend in Mindo.  He responded in 5 minutes with an affirmative answer: “Chestnut-crowned Antpitta.”   No wonder I never saw him.  A skulker extraordinaire and rarely seen.  


It was probably about 45 minutes and we reached Halle’s house which she rents.  It was formerly some kind of retreat, and the view from here was wonderful.  By the time I got there I had caught up with some slowpokes, which were Annie (a wildlife artist) and the young mother and her boy.  We took about a half hour snack and hydration break at Halle’s.  Just downslope from the main house a Amazilia Hummer had his territory and I was able to show him to Rosie and Sue.








Soon enough we were back on the road.  But this portion would be steeper than where we’d been, so our knees would be put to the test.  I was worried about Rosie, but she actually did OK.  Her strategy was to not walk slow, but rather lope along quickly so as not to  use her knees so much as brakes  in holding herself back, so she was usually way ahead of me. 


In a half hour we were down off the hill, and now we’d be walking on the road along side  the river.  The road was flat and we were now in verdant surroundings - green everywhere.  The sun continued to be veiled by clouds, making the walk more inviting.  But even if the sun were shining we were now in the shade of many taller trees. Here and there one lane bridges crossed the river  to some lucky homeowner’s land.  





Eventually we began to see homes, and soon came to a small Tienda (store).  There was a sign above the door indicating the name of the place - “Rosita,”  so that being Rosie’s name, interested her and gave her something in common with the lady inside.  



A small place out here suggested to me the owners were probably poor, and as we were hanging out on her porch, under the overhang that provided shade now, I felt obligated to repay her, so asked her to unlock the glass door to her ice cream and pop cycle chest, and Rosie and I each bought something.  This then started a small stream of the others doing the same, which brought me (and the owner I’m sure) a sense of satisfaction.  


Another ten minutes down the road and we came to a mini park area where locals come, right on the river.  Rosie and I had our lunch now, as did some others. A few waded in the water.  A German lady’s dog was also enjoying the water, and if a stick was thrown in, she would retrieve it.  





Little by little the road veered away from the river, and we were now walking a side street back toward San Pedro.  Most of the homeowners along this stretch had small farms, and banana trees were very common.  So were their dogs.  In about 20 minutes were reached the town proper, and caught a taxi back to Vilcabamba.  



                            HERE WE ARE ON A STREET IN SAN PEDRO

Rosie and I needed a few supplies, so went shopping, and then we took a taxi home.  We figured we’d walked enough.  My pedometer says 6.5 miles, and for some strange reason registered 16 flights of stairs.   We did not eat the 2 bananas we’d brought, and now, in the bottom of my day pack, they looked and felt ready to add to a banana cream pie.  Oh well,  I suppose my day pack needed a good cleaning anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment