Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Sharp-shinned Hawk



Hi All,
While sipping tea this morning, sitting at the kitchen table and doing some reading, I looked up just in time to see a Sharp-shinned Hawk take a Mourning Dove, and fly/smash into the window not more than 3 feet away.  It was loud and I actually felt the vibration.  They both went to the sidewalk outside, with the hawk on top of the dove, doing her “kneading bread” action with her talons as they must do with a fresh kill.  But the dove was dead, not really needing the extra boost into the afterlife.   I took a few pics, and below is a link to my best one.

Upon reflection, I am wondering if the hawk more or less planned to use the dove as a cushion for colliding into the window?  As loud and hard as it was, I expected the hawk to be at least a little “dazed and confused” but she was fully cognizant.  So then I have to wonder if they use their prey as cushions against trees and other hard objects during collisions?   I really don’t know, but it would be interesting to learn if such is an accurate assessment.  Anyone else have any ideas about such?


Most of us know these accipiters are fearless hunters.  I once saw one dive head first into a large bush, obviously after prey, just like how I use to dive into a huge pile of leaves when I was a kid.  



Sharp-shinned Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment