Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Snow Geese and Black-bellied Plovers In Linn Co 1/18/17

Hi All,
I thought I’d bird from the car today (in light of the weather forecast) so headed over to Linn County.  Two days ago, 1/16/17, Hendrick Herlyn reported a large flock of 66 Snow Geese taking off from Finley NWR at day break, with one Ross’ in the mix.  Later in the day Jim and Karen Fairchild reported what they figured was the same flock to the east in Linn Co, some 15 miles or so to the east, along with many swans along American Road, near Halsey. 

I was coming south from Peoria and could see the swan flock in the distance, and when I got adjacent to them along American Rd, they were still quite far off to the north, so with he help of google maps found Creek Road just to the north of them.  When I got near them, I could see some Snow and White-fronts in the mix, but counting the geese was a challenge because of the size and number of the swans.  After checking swan after swan and finding a couple trumpeters, I waited around between rain squalls, and the geese finally separated themselves from the swans, and then I could more easily count 19 White-fronts and 76 Snow Geese, but no Ross’ Goose.  Of the snows there were 42 imm, grayish birds.  I also figured there were some 300 swans, which were coming and going, mostly to/from the south.  By the time I left there were maybe half as many swans.  

Just around the corner to the north, near the junction of Creek and Harmony Rds, was a field with a large puddle in it, and I could see a number of shorebirds which I assumed were Killdeer, but when I stopped to view them I could see Black-bellied Plover and Dunlin.  I decided I needed a better look so drove past them, turned around, and returned so I could look out the driver window without getting wet.  They were spread out quite a bit and rather flighty.   In looking them over I kept seeing more and more plovers, so figured I had better start counting, and came up with 170.  I am confident there were no less, and probably a few more as it was a fast count.  Right after I was done they all took off, flew around in a large circle three times.  By then I was somewhat ready to take a motion pic, so that is in included here.  They all ended up flying to the NE and landed within sight. There were about 500 Dunlin I'd say.  In the movie pic the plover are in the front part of the flock and are the ones seen first, and last. Here is the video:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132744272@N07/32274494721/in/dateposted-public/

I have two questions.  The first is, is this possibly the largest flock of snow geese seen/reported in the Willamette Valley?



The second is like it regarding the plovers.  Have there ever been any reports of this large of a wintering flock of Black-bellied Plovers in the Willamette Valley?   There was a flock of around 120, as I recall, a few miles north of here last winter.  Now that I think about it, I suspect down at Fern Ridge Reservoir large flocks may winter.  Thanks for the feedback.



Tundra Swans and White-fronted Geese

Tundra Swans and Snow Geese

Wide angle view of the swans and geese

A bedraggled Rough-legged Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment