Thursday, December 15, 2016

Short-eared Owl Pics

I thought I’d get out yesterday before the snow kept me cooped up in the house.  I was going to do some walking, but it was cold and windy, so I stayed in my truck.   Best bird was a Common Goldeneye at the farm pond just east of the junction of Rts 99 and 20, in Polk County.  There were 2 imm Thayer's Gulls along Livermore Rd.


Another fun sighting was a Short-eared Owl along Frizzell Rd in N Polk Co. He was only 10 feet off the gravel road, so pictures were maybe 25 feet away.  In showing them to my wife this morning, in some close ups, I can actually see the reflection of my truck in his pupil!   I guess I never would have thought that possible, so if you can enlarge these to full screen on your computer, you should be able to see such.  If not, you can still make out the form of my truck in/on his pupil.

My auto focus zeroed in on the grass in front of him, or I'd have some better shots.












No comments:

Post a Comment